Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Experimentation

Bookmark and Share
    GM DEV: Producer/Lead Designer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesRecommendation Second ClassSocial

Level
    Blog Entries
    Donations
    None

Recipe Experimentation

So, we have been going back and forth a bit on how we will be implementing recipes and plans for the items you will craft in the game.

We dont want to just hand you a book full of things to craft and there be no mystery to any of it. We want you to work together on figuring things out. So here is what we came up with and look to you, the players for advice on what you think you would enjoy.

#1. You open your recipe/plans book for the first time and see a list of recipes, one recipe for each of the various crafting trees in the game. It will be complete, though very simple. Once you have made one of the starter items in the tree, it will open another recipe (or branch of recipes) with a list of items needed to create the finished item, however, some items will remain unknown on the list because the recipe was spawned as an "idea" based on what you just created and to perfect your idea, you'll have to come up with a way to make it become a functional item.

#2. Once you have figured out an ingredient or item to add for a finished item, the recipe will change into a finished recipe/plan for a finished item and will rank up in durability the more you craft the item over time.

#3. Some recipes will have multiple variations to the same item, each giving different characteristics and statistics. What you create may be different than what someone else creates. Once you have created a finished item, that will be the only version of that item you can make, but, you will be able to become the best at making that finished item.

This will help bring the community closer together because even if you had 100 recipes in your book in a Cooking skill, you will make things differently than many other cooks so ultimately, no one recipe book in the game will be the same...

Brilliant or brat?

You vote.

Community Manager
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Most PopularFrequent Poster

Level
    Blog Entries
    Donations
    None
    before I cast my vote, would the books be character bound? Or would this be something you could trade/lose? I will say I'm against being able to give a book like that to someone else. Because you'd have one guild horde a "master book" and just train everyone in the guild. Making them light years ahead of everyone else. And I'd want to prevent a monopoly right off the bat, that could be devastating to the economy.
    Looking to join a casual Crafting/Merchant guild? Check out the thread here! We are starting with a castle!!

Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesRecommendation Second ClassSocial

Level
    Blog Entries
    Donations
    None
    Your recipe book is your own, can't trade or sell it.

Community Manager
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdriveSocial
    Awards:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Donations
    None
    Good to hear! Let me ponder for a moment and then I'll weigh in on this. I have like 7 note pads open dissecting your new video to update my Land FAQ
    Looking to join a casual Crafting/Merchant guild? Check out the thread here! We are starting with a castle!!

Kickstarter Backer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Donations
    None
    I like the idea overall. The only thing that throws me off is the part about increasing durability every time I craft an item. Does that mean that I am going to have to craft the same crappy starter stuff hundreds of times in order for it to actually become decent? Perhaps I'm just not fully understanding it.

Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Donations
    None
    Looking at your avatar just makes me feel so warm and inspired! It's driving me nuts!

Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Donations
    None
    Well, yes if you put it that way.
    The more you craft anything the better the quality will be next time because through that experience you would ultimately learn ways to make something better right?

Kickstarter Backer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Donations
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricCrow View Post
    Well, yes if you put it that way.
    The more you craft anything the better the quality will be next time because through that experience you would ultimately learn ways to make something better right?
    Hmm guess it makes sense, well either way I'm sure it'll work

Just please do not make some crappy experience system like HnH and Salem have.

Community Manager
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Donations
    None
    I'm a fan of a system where you know all the basic crafts. And while you craft them, have a chance to proc a rare/unique recipe. It rewards you for "grinding" your skill out. Plus it gives nice surprises as you level them. With that said, I wouldn't go too nuts with an idea like that, because if it gets to the point where you feel that you NEED to proc most of them because those are the only useful ones. Then it becomes a turn off.

NOTE: this is not my official statement on this yet, just a "drive by posting" thought

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupOverdrive1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Donations
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Derium View Post
    I'm a fan of a system where you know all the basic crafts. And while you craft them, have a chance to proc a rare/unique recipe. It rewards you for "grinding" your skill out. Plus it gives nice surprises as you level them. With that said, I wouldn't go too nuts with an idea like that, because if it gets to the point where you feel that you NEED to proc most of them because those are the only useful ones. Then it becomes a turn off.

NOTE: this is not my official statement on this yet, just a "drive by posting" thought
    Love this aswell. Lotro had this and i loved getting a crafting crit on a weapon or amort piece then show it off to my friends.

Senior officer of the Multi Gaming community Hysteria. Looking to build up the GM section of the guild. If you're interested message me! Who else remembers the pure white old forums? Been with Gm since the beginning. “Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul”—Plato